Joel Wacek is an expert in providing financial and economic analyses in intellectual property disputes. Mr. Wacek has testified as an expert witness at trial on damages in intellectual property infringement matters, and also provides financial analysis related to commercial disputes, licensing campaigns, and matters before the International Trade Commission. A particular focus of Mr. Wacek’s practice involves continually monitoring the developing changes in intellectual property damages case law to inform his complex damages analyses involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
Examples of Mr. Wacek’s expertise include:
Intellectual Property and Commercial Litigation
- Evaluating the amount of damages arising from the infringement of intellectual properties, including lost profits, price erosion, and reasonable royalties
- Analyzing unjust enrichment related to the infringement or misappropriation of copyrights, trademarks and trade secrets
- Evaluating reasonable royalties for software and telecommunications technologies, including evaluation of royalties under FRAND terms
Licensing Assistance and Evaluation
- Assisting patent holders and companies in developing licensing strategies and assisting with finding licensees for intellectual properties
- Performing market analysis, royalty rate research and evaluation of potential licensees
Economic Consulting in ITC Investigation
- Evaluating economic and financial issues in matters before the International Trade Commission, including domestic industry, remedy, bond, and other economic issues
Mr. Wacek was named in the 2019, 2020, and 2021 editions of the IAM Strategy 300 – The World’s Leading IP Strategists, which identifies individuals nominated multiple times by different parties as leading the way in the development and implementation of strategies that maximize the value of intellectual property portfolios.
Mr. Wacek holds an M.B.A. and a Masters of Science in Finance from the Carroll School of Management at Boston College, and a B.A. in both Economics and History from Boston College. He is a Certified Licensing Professional and member of the Licensing Executives Society and International Trademark Association.